Dienstag, 25. August 2009

In Motion


As a kid growing up in the country, I lived life outside: alpine skiing, skating, cycling, running, jumping, swiming and climbing up mountains. In my teens, that meant also playing tennis, competitive track and field as well as playing volleyball. But it was in high school, that I gravitated away from track and field and alpine skiing and I found my way into dance, a long standing wish since childhood. I spent several years attending jazz- and modern dance classes as well as pantomime.

The discipline I learned through sports pushed me to participate in new things. I always had an insatiable love for trying new things and discovered a passion for photography and filmmaking. At that time I consequentially learned to "dance" with my camera. At first with small movie cameras, later on with a photo camera I enjoyed experimenting with all kinds of movement whenever possible.


As Autumn Wanes 2008

Evanescence of life and beauty in mind I shot this portrait of a morello cherry tree by moving the camera with a long shutter speed at low light, so that the tree appears in disintegration.

When cutting a film I spend a lot of time looking closely to any single of the 24 or 25 photographic images of which one second of motion picture exists. And I get absolutely impressed with these usually unseen and often blurry jewels of film frames.


Noir 1987

Life consists of movement. If we see something wonderful or remarkable most of us like to capture it in a photo. It can be interesting to watch a picture of such a single moment where life gets "frozen", and we are able to study the details. I still remember my amazement about gazing at an ordinary bee approaching a flower.


Approach For A Landing 2008

However looking at a picture "in motion" the details of single moments become indistinct and get transformed to a bigger something. It´s somehow an illusion of visible reality and often provokes different kinds of emotion.


Momentum 2009

The picture above consists of two photographs. I took the first one during our perseverative trips between Austria and Hungary. This strip of land on the Hungarian side of the former Iron Curtain, also known as border zone, is covered with deep forests full of mystery which still remind me of all the anxiety when crossing the border to a Eastern European Country in the past. Times changed and due to the European Union we are now allowed to go to any member country without any passport control. I liked the blue and green colors of the wood passing by but also wanted to add some bright color. As you also can find yellow canola fields in this area which emanate warmth and cheerfulness, I combined these two images to create a whole new one.


The Vineyard 2009

Only some miles away, when crossing the border to Austria, you will find a totally different aspect of the same landscape. Few if any forests or trees between the huge fields, acres and vineyards. Every single square mile seems to be cultivated by human hand. Strict geometrical structures dominate and nature´s charming wilderness has already disappeared. Nonetheless I like this picture of a vineyard "in motion" very much as it corresponds to my preference for playing with geometrical structures very well.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen